In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

City of Brewer

City of Brewer Facts

Founded:
Colonel John Brewer formerly of Worcester, Massachusetts, first settled on Sedgeunkedunk Stream in 1770 in what is now the City of Brewer and named the area New Worcester.

On March 21,1788, the area was incorporated as a town under the name of Orrington. The area so designated included the towns of Holden, Brewer, and Orrington.

In 1812, Brewer was separated from Orrington and later Holden was separated from Brewer leaving the community with its present 10,106 acres of land. Brewer was incorporated in 1889.